About the Chapter
The Viola da Gamba Society-Pacifica, a chapter of the Viola da Gamba Society of America,
is an association of viol enthusiasts in the San Francisco Bay Area.
We enjoy playing chamber music of the sixteenth through eighteenth
centuries (as well as some contemporary music) from England, France,
Italy and Germany on treble, tenor and bass viols. Members include
novice to advanced players, instrument makers, teachers and performers.
- Monthly Saturday meetings for playing in ensembles with players of similar ability and coached by leading professional players. We meet on the 2nd Saturday of the month (Sep-Jan, Mar-Jun), in El Cerrito. The class and coached ensemble time is from 9 a.m. to noon, then we have our bag lunches and uncoached ensemble playing in the afternoon.
- Monthly Gamba News newsletter, September through June.
- Viol rental program. For information on currently available instruments and rates, contact Lynn Lipetzky.
- Referrals to local viol teachers.
- Cost of a normal membership is $45 per year, a student membership is $15 per year, and a household membership is $55 per year, all of which includes attendance at the monthly consort meetings and the chapter's email announcements and monthly newsletter. A $15 non-playing membership includes the email announcements and monthly newsletter only.
- To join or for more information, please fill out the membership form or email the Chapter.
Chapter Monthly Meetings, 2016-2017
Georg Muffat (1653-1704)|
Orchestral suite Constantia from Florilegium (Augsburg, 1695)
This is terrific five-part music written by one of the most gifted exponents of an "internationalized" music style in the late 17th century. This particular collection includes not only Muffat's incomparable orchestral compositions but also plenty of technical information for performers, including bowing articulations, the use and execution of ornaments and advice about tuning. Lovely source material from a great composer and musical thinker, Constantia is full of dances with programmatic titles; we'll work on giving each piece its own character and mood as we play through the suite.
The original is scored for five-part violin band, but we will adapt it as follows:
Violin I= Treble I
Violin II= Treble II
Viola I= Tenor I
Viola II= Tenor II (or some high basses)
Bassi= Bass Viol (with any violone players more than welcome to join in the fun!).
|Frances Blaker||“Treasures from the Cabinet”
Treasures from the Cabinet includes beautiful pieces Frances has come across while reorganizing her music collection, including The Song Called Trumpets by Parsons, Constanzo Festa’s motet on the death of Anne of Brittany, a chaconne by Lully and more. Come share in the excitement of rediscovery!
If you want to listen to the Parsons before the meeting here is a link to a recording by the Rose Consort (on youtube) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hhyGuEVOs0
|Loren Ludwig||"Cadence and Musica Ficta in Consort Music"
In Renaissance music, cadences act like punctuation--they help articulate musical thought into recognizable phrases, "sentences," and "paragraphs." We will look at some of the details of how cadential syntax works in consort music and how to spot cadences and use them to clarify musical architecture and unlock expressive possibility.
|Mary Springfels||An 8-part Priuli and a gorgeous 5-part Marenzio madrigal|
|Hallifax and Jeffrey||TBA|
|Stanford Workshop directed by John Dornenburg with Julie Jeffrey, Elisabeth Reed, and Marie Dalby-Szuts
|Pacifica Chapter Concert for Friends/Family ||.
Chapter Monthly Meetings, 2012-2016
Other Gamba Workshops
Chapter Officers and Board Members, 2016-2018
|President, Newsletter Editor, Play Day Consort Coordinator||Cindi Olwell|
|Vice President||Ricardo Hofer|
|Treasurer, Membership List Manager, VdGSA Representative||Ellen Fisher|
|VdGSA Representative||Carolyn Butler|
|Instrument Rental Program Coordinator||Lynn Lipetzky|
|Viols West Coordinator||Melita Denny
|Coaching Liaison||Amy Warren|
|Past President||Dalton Cantey
|Member at Large||Peter Ballinger
|Member at Large||John Dornenburg
|Member at Large||Robin Easterbrook
|Member at Large||Mary Elliott
|Member at Large||Stuart Elliott
|Member at Large||Ellen Farwell
|Member at Large||Julie Jeffrey
|Member at Large||Elisabeth Reed
|Member at Large||Adaiha MacAdam-Somer
- None currently. Ads are free for members. Please email webmaster to place an ad.
Early Music Links
Viola da Gamba Society-Pacifica is an affiliate
of the San Francisco Early Music Society
For further information, contact our chapter president: Cindi Olwell.
For site corrections/questions, contact: Webmaster