About the Chapter
The Viola da Gamba Society-Pacifica, a chapter of the Viola da Gamba Society of America,
is an association of viol enthusiasts in the San Francisco Bay Area.
We enjoy playing chamber music of the sixteenth through eighteenth
centuries (as well as some contemporary music) from England, France,
Italy and Germany on treble, tenor and bass viols. Members include
novice to advanced players, instrument makers, teachers and performers.
- Monthly Saturday meetings for
playing in ensembles with players of similar ability and coached by leading professional players.
- Monthly Gamba News newsletter, September through June.
- Viol rental program. For information on currently available instruments and rates, contact John Mark.
- Referrals to local viol teachers.
- Cost of a normal membership is $40 per year, a student membership is $15 per year, and a household membership is $50 per year, all of which includes attendance at the monthly consort meetings and the chapter's email announcements and monthly newsletter. A $15 non-playing membership includes the email announcements and monthly newsletter only.
- To join or for more information, please fill out the membership form or email the Chapter.
Chapter Monthly Meetings, 2013-2014
|September 14||Elisabeth Reed||Effective Use of your Entire Bow: An exploration of the three main types of bowing with exercises and musical examples.|
|October 12||David Morris||Voices and Viols. Our music this time around will be a mixed bag of late Renaissance madrigals edited by Peter Ballinger and Leslie Gold of PRB Productions. Composers include Weelkes, Coperario and Sigismondo d'India. The styles, forms and moods will be all over the map, and it's all first-rate.
|November 9||Amy Brodo||.|
|December 14||Josh Lee||.|
|January 18||Farley Pearce||.|
|February||Stanford Workshop with John Dornenburg and others||.|
|March 8||Julie Jeffrey and Peter Hallifax||.|
|April 12||Yukimi Kambe||.|
|May 10||Roy Whelden||.|
|June 14||Pacifica Chapter Concert for Friends/Family ||.
Chapter Officers, 2013-2014
|Vice President||Ricardo Hofer|
|Co-Secretary||Betsy St. Aubin|
|Newsletter Editor||Peter Brodigan|
|Rental Coordinator||John Mark|
|VdGSA Chapter Representative||Lee McRae|
|Coaching Liaison & Webmaster||Alexandra Saur|
|Membership List Coordinator||Roy Whelden
|Member at Large||Peter Ballinger
|Member at Large||Melita Denny
|Member at Large||John Dornenburg
|Member at Large||Robin Easterbrook
|Member at Large||Mary Elliott
|Member at Large||Stuart Elliott
|Member at Large||Ellen Farwell
|Member at Large||Julie Jeffrey
|Member at Large||Lynn Lipetzky
|Member at Large||Julie Morrisett
|Member at Large||Elisabeth Reed
Early Music Links
Viola da Gamba Society-Pacifica is an affiliate
of the San Francisco Early Music Society
For further information, contact our chapter president: Dalton Cantey.
For site corrections/questions, contact: Webmaster