About the Chapter
The Viola da Gamba Society-Pacifica, a chapter of the Viola da Gamba Society of America,
is an association of viol enthusiasts in the San Francisco Bay Area.
We enjoy playing chamber music of the sixteenth through eighteenth
centuries (as well as some contemporary music) from England, France,
Italy and Germany on treble, tenor and bass viols. Members include
novice to advanced players, instrument makers, teachers and performers.
- Monthly Saturday meetings for
playing in ensembles with players of similar ability and coached by leading professional players.
- Monthly Gamba News newsletter, September through June.
- Viol rental program. For information on currently available instruments and rates, contact Lynn Lipetzky.
- Referrals to local viol teachers.
- Cost of a normal membership is $45 per year, a student membership is $15 per year, and a household membership is $55 per year, all of which includes attendance at the monthly consort meetings and the chapter's email announcements and monthly newsletter. A $15 non-playing membership includes the email announcements and monthly newsletter only.
- To join or for more information, please fill out the membership form or email the Chapter.
Chapter Monthly Meetings, 2016-2017
|Hallifax and Jeffrey||TBA|
|Stanford Workshop directed by John Dornenburg
|Pacifica Chapter Concert for Friends/Family ||.
Chapter Monthly Meetings, 2012-2016
Other Gamba Workshops
Chapter Officers and Board Members, 2016-2018
|President, Newsletter Editor, Play Day Consort Coordinator||Cindi Olwell|
|Vice President||Ricardo Hofer|
|Treasurer, Membership List Manager, VdGSA Representative||Ellen Fisher|
|VdGSA Representative||Carolyn Butler|
|Instrument Rental Program Coordinator||Lynn Lipetzky|
|Viols West Coordinator||Melita Denny
|Coaching Liaison||Amy Warren|
|Past President||Dalton Cantey
|Member at Large||Peter Ballinger
|Member at Large||John Dornenburg
|Member at Large||Robin Easterbrook
|Member at Large||Mary Elliott
|Member at Large||Stuart Elliott
|Member at Large||Ellen Farwell
|Member at Large||Julie Jeffrey
|Member at Large||Elisabeth Reed
|Member at Large||Adaiha MacAdam-Somer
- Large Jaye model tenor viol made by Lyn Elder in 1997. Curly maple with purfling around the front and back edges; dark rosewood fingerboard and pegs; open scroll. Excellent instrument with even sound throughout its range. Price with Kingham MTM hard case: $5000. See photo in section "About the Viol" on this website. Email email@example.com..
- The Pacifica Chapter is pleased to announce that a wonderful viol from the collection of John Mark, one of the chapter's founding members, is available for sale. The proceeds from the sale will be used to purchase new viols for our successful rental program and for programs to encourage emerging players.
7-String Colichon model Bass Viol made in 1989 by Judith Kraft in Paris
4-piece spruce top; 2-piece maple back; maple ribs and neck; decorated lion's head pegbox, decorated hookbar; painted belly rose; ebony veneered fingerboard and tailpiece; mechanically geared tuning pegs (pegheads); 69.5 cm string length. All new strings and frets, with a new bridge made by Sarah Peck. Price is $11,000, and includes fiberglass case.
Photos of Judith Kraft 7-string bass viol
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Early Music Links
Viola da Gamba Society-Pacifica is an affiliate
of the San Francisco Early Music Society
For further information, contact our chapter president: Dalton Cantey.
For site corrections/questions, contact: Webmaster