About the Chapter
The Viola da Gamba Society-Pacifica, a chapter of the Viola da Gamba Society of America,
is an association of viol enthusiasts in the San Francisco Bay Area.
We enjoy playing chamber music of the sixteenth through eighteenth
centuries (as well as some contemporary music) from England, France,
Italy and Germany on treble, tenor and bass viols. Members include
novice to advanced players, instrument makers, teachers and performers.
- Monthly Saturday meetings for
playing in ensembles with players of similar ability and coached by leading professional players.
- Monthly Gamba News newsletter, September through June.
- Viol rental program. For information on currently available instruments and rates, contact Lynn Lipetzky.
- Referrals to local viol teachers.
- Cost of a normal membership is $45 per year, a student membership is $15 per year, and a household membership is $55 per year, all of which includes attendance at the monthly consort meetings and the chapter's email announcements and monthly newsletter. A $15 non-playing membership includes the email announcements and monthly newsletter only.
- To join or for more information, please fill out the membership form or email the Chapter.
Chapter Monthly Meetings, 2015-2016
|September 12||David Morris||I'm looking forward to spending the morning working on the four-part Suite in D minor by Matthew Locke (1621?-1677), an oft-overlooked composer active during those tumultuous decades in the middle of the 17th century.|
|October 10||Marie Szuts||. |
|November 14||David Morris||Voices and Viols|
|December 12||Frances Blaker||.|
|January 9||Shira Kammen||.|
|February 6||Stanford Workshop directed by John Dornenburg||.|
|March 12||William Skeen||.<|
|April 9||Pat O'Scannell||.|
|May 14||Hallifax and Jeffrey||.|
|June 4||Pacifica Chapter Concert for Friends/Family ||.
|July-August||2016 VdGSA Conclave in Forest Grove, Oregon||.|
Chapter Monthly Meetings, 2012-2015
Chapter Officers and Board Members, 2015-2016 Season
|President, Newsletter Editor, Play Day Consort Coordinator||Dalton Cantey|
|Vice President||Ricardo Hofer|
|Co-Secretary, VdGSA Representative||Carolyn Butler|
|Co-Secretary||Betsy St. Aubin|
|Treasurer, Membership List Manager, VdGSA Representative||Ellen Fisher|
|Instrument Rental Program Coordinator||Lynn Lipetzky|
|Viols West Coordinator||Melita Denny
|Coaching Liaison & Webmaster||Alexandra Saur|
|Past President||Ellen Farwell
|Member at Large||Peter Ballinger
|Member at Large||John Dornenburg
|Member at Large||Robin Easterbrook
|Member at Large||Mary Elliott
|Member at Large||Stuart Elliott
|Member at Large||Julie Jeffrey
|Member at Large||Elisabeth Reed
|Member at Large||Adaiha MacAdam-Somer
|Member at Large||Cindi Kazarian
|Member at Large||Lynn Tetenbaum
|Member at Large||Amy Warren
- Large Jaye model tenor viol made by Lyn Elder in 1997. Curly maple with purfling around the front and back edges; dark rosewood fingerboard and pegs; open scroll. Excellent instrument with even sound throughout its range. Price with Kingham MTM hard case: $5000. See photo in section "About the Viol" on this website. Email firstname.lastname@example.org..
Early Music Links
Viola da Gamba Society-Pacifica is an affiliate
of the San Francisco Early Music Society
For further information, contact our chapter president: Dalton Cantey.
For site corrections/questions, contact: Webmaster