About the Chapter
The Viola da Gamba Society-Pacifica, a chapter of the Viola da Gamba Society of America,
is an association of viol enthusiasts in the San Francisco Bay Area.
We enjoy playing chamber music of the sixteenth through eighteenth
centuries (as well as some contemporary music) from England, France,
Italy and Germany on treble, tenor and bass viols. Members include
novice to advanced players, instrument makers, teachers and performers.
- Monthly Saturday meetings for
playing in ensembles with players of similar ability and coached by leading professional players.
- Monthly Gamba News newsletter, September through June.
- Viol rental program. For information on currently available instruments and rates, contact John Mark.
- Referrals to local viol teachers.
- Cost of a normal membership is $40 per year, a student membership is $15 per year, and a household membership is $50 per year, all of which includes attendance at the monthly consort meetings and the chapter's email announcements and monthly newsletter. A $15 non-playing membership includes the email announcements and monthly newsletter only.
- To join or for more information, please fill out the membership form or email the Chapter.
Chapter Monthly Meetings, 2012-2013
|September 8||Josh Lee||Care of the left hand - increasing efficiency, reducing stress and avoiding injury.|
|October 13||Farley Pearce||The Bourrée and possibly the Courante from J.S. Bach's Suite #3 for cello adapted for any size viol, and, time permitting, a Scottish tune from fiddler Nathaniel Gow's 18th century collection.|
|November 10||Pat O'Scannell||'Road-mapping' for more fluid and concise bowings: The forearm, the hand and then the fingers (in that order) are utilized to execute long, medium and fast notes. In addition, the whole bow, about half the bow or less, and very little bow are used to execute these same long, medium and fast notes.|
|December 8||Marie Szuts||Bach chorale and ensemble playing. The chorales are a wonderful tool for practicing ensemble breathing and careful attention--plus they sound amazing on viols! |
|January 12||Mary Springfels||.|
|February 9||Stanford Workshop with John Dornenburg and others||.|
|March 9||Shira Kammen||.|
|April 13||David Morris - Voices and Viols||.|
|May 11||Julie Jeffrey and Peter Hallifax||.|
|June 8||Pacifica Chapter Concert for Friends/Family ||.
Chapter Officers, 2012-2013
|Vice President||Ricardo Hofer|
|Co-Secretary||Betsy St. Aubin|
|Newsletter Editor||Peter Brodigan|
|Rental Coordinator||John Mark|
|VdGSA Chapter Representative||Lee McRae|
|Coaching Liaison & Webmaster||Alexandra Saur|
|Membership List Coordinator||Roy Whelden
|Member at Large||Peter Ballinger
|Member at Large||Melita Denny
|Member at Large||John Dornenburg
|Member at Large||Robin Easterbrook
|Member at Large||Mary Elliott
|Member at Large||Stuart Elliott
|Member at Large||Ellen Farwell
|Member at Large||Julie Jeffrey
|Member at Large||Lynn Lipetzky
|Member at Large||Julie Morrisett
|Member at Large||Elisabeth Reed
Early Music Links
Viola da Gamba Society-Pacifica is an affiliate
of the San Francisco Early Music Society
For further information, contact our chapter president: Dalton Cantey.
For site corrections/questions, contact: Webmaster